Centennial Celebration

St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church has served the Oviedo community for 100 years. The church's growth has in many ways mirrored the growth of the surrounding area. Here are some highlights from the church's history. Click here for the January 18, 2012 article in the Seminole Chronicle.

 

1911

Some members of Holy Trinity Slovak Lutheran Church in Cleveland, Ohio form the Slavia Colony Company. In October, they buy 1,200 acres in the Oviedo area and begin moving there.



1912

March 17 - St. Luke the Evangelizer Church is founded and their first sanctuary is built.




1934

July 31 - Pastor Stephen M. Tuhy was installed as the 1st full-time pastor.

 




1935

September - The congregation decides to build a parsonage for Pastor Tuhy.





1939

June 4 - Dedication of the new red-brick structure built as St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church, at a cost of $7,421.










1941

The congregation resolves to have a weekly bulletin issued. Since its purpose is to disseminate information it receives the name: The LIGHT (In Slovak: "Svetlo").




1944

A nursery school is established for children from ages 3 to 5, in keeping with the congregation's dedication to religious education of the young.




1947

September 4 - St. Luke’s Christian Day School opens.




1948

May 30 - Dedication of the Lutheran Haven, built to care for orphaned children and the elderly.




1957

May 5 - Dedication of the newly enlarged and renovated church building, which now seats 375.




1969

Pastor John J. Kucharik is installed as the new pastor.






1979

"Founders' Hall" multi-purpose building is built and dedicated to St. Luke's early pioneers. The building cost $500,000 and features a gymnasium, locker room, stage, kitchen, and a lunchroom/meeting room.




1982

Pastor E. J. Rossow is installed as the new pastor.

 




1993

November 14 - Dedication of new sanctuary and other renovations.





1994

February - New Zimmer organ celebrated with an inaugural concert.





1996

December - The first performances of the annual Christmas show “From Everywhere to Bethlehem”.




1998

April 5 - Pastor W. M. Arp is installed as a new pastor. Pastor Arp is named to Senior Pastor in 1999.

 




2000

March 30 - Pastor Brian Roberts is installed as a new pastor.

July 16 - Pastor Gary Schuschke is installed as a new pastor.



2001

June - New St. Luke's Lutheran School building completed.

August 22 - New Lutheran Haven Early Childhood Center opens.



2002

December 10 - Shepherd's Hope Health Care clinic opens in the old school building.





2005

July 31 - Pastor Scott Abel, installed as missionary-at-large to serve the new Chuluota multi-site location.

September 11 - The new St. Luke's multi-site location in Chuluota, FL holds it's first worship service.




2007

May 20 - The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Sanford, FL is commissioned as a "Partner in Ministry."